currently accepting weird!aus for a stony oneshot series
i write a lot of stony, read it at /tagged/my+fic or shrill-fangirl-screaming on the ao3
#IT’S A HOGWARTS AU WHERE EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE MUGGLE STUDIES FIRST YEAR TO LEARN ABOUT ACCEPTANCE AND SOMETIMES THEY TAKE BREAKS AND COLOR AND STUFF AND DRACO IS /BORED/ BECAUSE THEY DON’T MOVE AND WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS A /CRAYOLA/? AND THEN HE DRAWS HIS FAMILY EXCEPT THEY ALL KIND OF LOOK LIKE BLOND BOBS AND SOMEONE (HARRY) TELLS HIM THAT HE’S NOT COLORING INSIDE HIS LINES CORRECTLY AND DRACO GLARES AT HIM AND SAYS THAT ACTUALLY /SCARFACE/ HE DOES NOT TAKE /ORDERS/ FROM /LINES/ AND HARRY SAYS ‘BUT THAT’S THE RULE’ AND DRACO SNEERS /JUST WAIT TIL MY FATHER HEARS ABOUT THIS THEN WE’LL SEE HOW IMPORTANT YOUR BLOODY LINES ARE/
#picturing little draco imperiously shouting WHAT IS A CRAYOLA and harry quickly is like crayola’s terrible here use roseart instead and dean thomas hides a grin and draco throws his box of crayons at harry’s head and says DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO but he picks up a roseart crayon because it’s time to get started on his pièce de résistance which he calls ‘die potter die’ and features no less than seventeen ways in which he’d like harry to meet his end one of which involves hary tripping over his own feet into a vat of acid except roseart is shit everyone knows that WHAT IS THIS draco howls indignantly PROFESSOR POTTER IS TRYING TO SABOTAGE MY MASTERPIECE TELL HIM TO GIVE ME THE CRAYOLA and harry’s like fine malfoy look we can share and draco’s like I DON’T THINK SO POTTER YOU’VE ALREADY TRIED TO SABOTAGE ME ONCE I CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOUR DEVILISH WILES
#THE POTTER CHILD IS EVERYTHING YOU SAID HE WOULD BE AND WORSE FATHER WAX CRAYONS I TELL YOU HE WOULD HAVE ME USE WAX CRAYONS IT’S UNTHINKABLE FATHER IT’S POSITIVELY UNACCEPTABLE DON’T YOU THINK #draco writes violently on a sheet of purple construction paper #lucius weeps when he reads it then sits in his study looking consumptive and tragic until narcissa brings him a stiff drink
It’s just crazy to me that everyone finds him to be some kind of Christian hero when he admitted to cheating on his wife repeatedly and drinking excessively for most of their marriage.
Now, since he’s “found God” since then, he’s holier than thou and can quote the bible regarding the sins of other’s?
What happened to hate the sin, not the sinner? So he hates the “sin” of homosexuality, but gets to compare gays to people who fuck animals? And that’s not “hating the sinner”?
I don’t think anyone is saying he has a “holier then thou” mind set. He’s exercising one of his basic American rights, and is being shunned for it. THAT is wrong. He is doing nothing but standing up for what he believes in. That has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of alcohol you consume, or if you’re faithful to your wife. He was solely under the assumption that he had the freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech is a political right that protects you from retaliation from the government. It does not protect you in private enterprise or in personal relationships. “Freedom of speech” does not protect you from experiencing the personal and professional consequences of offensive or unprofessional speech. It just keeps you from being arrested or imprisoned. And when your speech crosses the line and turns into threats, “freedom of speech” won’t even protect you from that.
Here are some examples of where freedom of speech does and does not protect you:
- You publish an editorial in a conservative paper where you call the president of the United States a Kenyan-born terrorist who is establishing secret death camps for Christians in rural areas. Your freedom of speech will keep you from being arrested by the government. Your freedom of speech will not, however, keep you from being criticized by individuals over your lack of evidence and ridiculous conspiracy theorizing.
- You have a syndicated column with a newspaper and in a post on your personal blog, you go off on a racist rant wherein you employ multiple racial epithets. The newspaper catches wind of it. Your freedom of speech will not protect you from losing your job because of your offensive behavior, because the newspaper—a private company—does not want someone who espouses those ideas representing their paper and they are entitled to fire people who misrepresent their organization.
- You call your husband an asshole. Your freedom of speech will not keep him from being mad at you or potentially using it as grounds for divorce.
- You go to your private enterprise job and point blank call your female supervisor a cunt to her face. Your freedom of speech will not keep you from losing your job for unprofessional, offensive behavior.
- You go to your government job and point blank call your female supervisor a cunt to her face. Your freedom of speech will not keep you from losing your job for unprofessional, offensive behavior. Your freedom of speech will keep you from being arrested.
- You go to your job in the White House, and you call the president an asshole to his face. Your freedom of speech will keep you from being arrested, but it will not keep you from being fired.
- You go to your job in the White House, and you are overheard saying to another employee that you think the President is a Kenyan-born terrorist who deserves to be taken out into the Rose Garden and shot execution style by a Real American. Your speech is now a threat of violence, and your freedom of speech will not only not keep you from losing your job (you probably will), it also will not keep you from being arrested for issuing a threat on the life of the president.
Are we clear now what exactly freedom of speech is and how it works?
You don’t have freedom of speech with a private employer. If you work for A&E and you go around spouting homophobic garbage and A&E doesn’t want to be associated with said homophobic garbage or the person who spouted it, they are entitled, as a private company, to fire you and put as much distance between themselves and you as possible.
Just like this dude is entitled to stand up for what he believes in and say offensive things about gay people in public without fear of reprisal from the government, A&E is entitled to stand up for what they believe in and say they don’t want a homophobe working for them at their private company and fire him. And you are entitled to be mad about A&E’s decision to fire him…but other people are also entitled to be pissed off if A&E decided to keep a homophobic hypocrite on their payroll.
Freedom of speech does not mean you do not have to take any responsibility for your words.
Geez louise, people, take a fucking civics class.
One of the other most common misconceptions about “freedom of speech” I see is when people think they are owed a place to state their views, no matter how obnoxious or hateful the things they say. They’re utterly outraged when this violates the TOS of the site and they get kicked off it, crying “Censorship!!!” or “I have a right to free speech!!!”
That’s not what freedom of speech is! The above commentary nicely laid out how freedom of speech does not protect you from consequences for your words, but I’ve also seen people think that tumblr (or livejournal/dreamwidth or bbs or forums or any website that lets you publish content to the web) owes them that platform to do so.
Because, no, they really don’t. They are not stopping you from making your own company that can publish content to the web, you will not be arrested for saying hateful things. You can stand on your own lawn and speak your words, if you want. But tumblr doesn’t owe you a provided space for it, they are entirely within their rights to say, “We don’t want that on our site, you’re banned.” They’re a company who offers a deal with certain terms of service, they don’t owe you shit.
But ultimately it’s about how you won’t be arrested or punished by the government for what you say (aside from threats to others’ safety), NOT “I want to say what I want to say and you shouldn’t be able to tell me to shut up!!”
A friend of mine took this picture at Phoenix Comic Con and it took me a moment to get it.
Wicked in text posts, Act I
there’s an armored convoy about tossing tear gas now so much for that fucking “resolution” earlier today
don’t let this shit die. we still don’t have justice and even at that police CONTINUE to oppress the people so quit it and start paying attention again. open your eyes.
291. A small group of muggleborns are determined to figure out the chemistry of potions. Mysterious bangs and smoke have been reported to heads of houses, along with yells of “HOW THE HELL DID MENDELEEV FIGURE OUT ELEMENTAL ORGANIZATION WHEN WE CAN’T EVEN FIND OUT WHY A NEWT MAKES THE POTION ORANGE DAMMIT WE HAVE MAGIC”
The hair products of modern villainy
because he’s worth it
IMPORTANT FERGUSON UPDATE - WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE YOUTUBE TAKES IT DOWN
CNN REPORTER Fredricka Whitfield interviews the Store Owner’s Lawyer (from the store that was “”“”“”“robbed”“”“”“”“”“”” by “”“”“”“”“”mike brown”“”“”“”“”“)
As the lawyer begins to explain what really happened, cnn “”“”“loses the feed”“”“”“
that fucking tape rewinding sound this shit is sooooooo staged
oh my god thats the worst fake signal interruption ive ever seen
LMAO!! how do u have a tape rewinding sound on a digital feed? bwahahahahahaa they think we that stupid lol there hasnt been a tape in cnn since 1996
That is so fake is so many ways. Let’s fucking deconstruct this:
1. CNN uses digital imaging, like all major news outlets, and as such there is nothing that could make that sound;
2. There is literally no possible way for those images to be inserted, especially not running backwards, into the feed. Crosstalk could do it forwards, but not backwards, and crosstalk issues in professional equipment is extremely rare.
Basically, CNN is lying to us. Fuck this.
Page 1 of 858